Okey doke! The first Better Than Yesterday challenge is done. Our group tackled sleep for three weeks and here's some of the feedback from that challenge:
"Well presented. Just the right amount of info each day. Just reminding me each day to prioritise my sleep was very helpful."
"A fabulous, non-confrontational way to move sleep habits up the priority list. There were no "failures" just days where intentions were made to be "better than before".... and that in itself was useful."
"Kelly, the ideas surrounding your sleep challenge have already infiltrated themselves in other areas of life. Thank you for teaching me the value of setting an intention. This simple technique of giving myself a few seconds each day to actually think about when I want to get to bed, and why, has made a significantly positive impact on my life. I can't wait to see what you have in store for me next! Thank you Thank you Thank you!"
So, what's next?
THE BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
(Starts Monday 6 March)
AIM OF THE CHALLENGE
To get us eating less processed and non-nutritious foods by aiming for 3-5 cups of veggies a day. This is my preferred approach for eating 'better' as the focus is on what you CAN eat, rather than on what you can't. Also, adding more veggies to each meal 'crowds out' the less nutritious stuff.
HOW IT WILL WORK
Challenge runs for three weeks (starting Monday 6 March).
Rather than an email every day (as there was with the Sleep Challenge), there will be five emails:
One on the weekend before the challenge starts - just to give some ideas for getting more veggies into your day.
One email on each of the Mondays of the program highlighting the focus of each week:
- Week 1 - Try to eat at least 3 cups of veggies over the course of each day
- Week 2 - Try to eat at least 4 cups of veggies over the course of each day + try to get from one meal to another without snacking
- Week 3 - Try to eat at least 5 cups of veggies over the course of each day + try to get from one meal to another without snacking + try to prepare meals without picking (I don't know about you guys, but I end up eating two dinners each night because I 'pick' so much while preparing our meals)
Then one email to wrap things up at the end.
In order to get the most out of this particular challenge, it will be useful to have access to the Facebook group and/or Instagram (following the hashtags #betterthanyesterday #veggiesrule). I'll be encouraging participants to share what they're eating in those two locations so none of us will suffer any shortage of idea for getting between 3 and 5 cups of veggies a day into us!
IT'S IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER
The Better Than Yesterday challenges are not about hard-core accountability or shaming people for not doing what the program decrees. The goal of the challenges are to increase awareness about how we go about doing certain things (like sleeping, eating and exercising) and make tiny changes on a daily basis that are not only sustainable long-term ... but add up to something big.
If you love gold stars, make sure you access the Better Than Yesterday Facebook group when you join the program. While I am not holding anyone to account in this challenge, I'm always willing to shower gold stars on people who love them 🙂
Keen to join? It's $19 and for that price you will get:
- A pdf of the 21-day Sleep Challenge we just finished (containing all the tips I shared during the program + the daily prompts)
- The 3-week Nutrition Challenge
- Access to the Better Than Yesterday Facebook group
- Access to all future Better Than Yesterday challenges run in 2017.