Recently Brooke received this email from one of our listeners:
“Hey Brooke, I would love to hear an episode on ‘Expectations’ on one of your podcasts … I’m really struggling right now. I constantly beat myself up when I upset people or let them down because I’ve made a conscious mindset change to put myself and my own needs before others, which means saying no or perhaps putting someone else out because they think I should be doing things differently. I know I am not the problem, the problem is people’s expectations of me but how to I stop this horrible sick to my stomach feeling.”
First of all – how good is it that this listener has taken these proactive steps and also knows she’s not the problem? So good. It took me approximately 35 years to figure out the same thing (#slowlearner).
But there’s a big difference between knowing you’re not the problem, and effectively dealing with the disappointment people feel when you ‘let them down’ or don’t meet their expectations.
In this episode Brooke and I talk about:
- Where expectations come from.
- Why they’re sometimes a compliment.
- Why knowing your ‘why’ is so important when it comes to managing them.
- How to overcome the Fear of Disappointing Others (FODO).
- How to say no to people without saying no.
- The importance of having open conversations with people about their expectations of you.
Not sure how to listen in to these podcasts?
- If you have an iPhone – the easiest thing to do is open up the Podcasts app (which is on all iPhones) and search for ‘Let it Be’. When it comes up, simply subscribe. Once you’re subscribed, all our episodes will automatically download on to your phone (and we will love you to the moon and back).
- If you’re on your computer, the direct link to our show in iTunes is here. Once you’ve subscribed in iTunes, it will download our episodes into your iTunes and you can then add them to whichever iDevice you like from there.
- And if all else fails, you can listen to the show directly via the player below – or download the mp3 to transfer to your audio listening device of choice 🙂