Carly and I recently asked our Straight and Curly group on Facebook if there were any topics they particularly wanted us to cover and ‘Budget Hacks and Tips’ was something lots of people voted for. This topic is going to be spread over two shows as it took us over 45 minutes to go through our best tips and this didn’t leave any time to answer some great and specific questions our group members asked. We do that in next week’s episode 🙂
This week? Carly shares some research around saving and also introduces the concept that some people are ‘spenders’ and some are ‘savers’. (Kelly reveals, to Carly’s surprise, that she is a spender!). We then share our best 10 tips for managing finances and staying away from, or at the very least, on top of, debt.
Things we cover:
- Everything except food and rent is a luxury
- If you can’t pay cash for it, you can’t afford it
- Check your credit card statements diligently every month
- You can’t cut corners everywhere
- Stop automating your payments
- Consolidate your many small debts into a single one
- Have your employer split your pay
- Have a budget
- Find different friends
- Sometimes it’s easier to make more money than it is to keep trying to cut expenses.
Not sure how to listen in to these podcasts?
- If you have an iPhone – the easiest thing to do is open up the Podcasts app (which is on all iPhones) and search for ‘Straight and Curly’. When it comes up, simply subscribe. Once you’re subscribed, all our episodes will automatically download to your phone (and we will love you to the moon and back).
- If you’re on your computer, the direct link to our show in iTunes is here. Once you’ve subscribed in iTunes, it will download our episodes into your iTunes and you can then add them to whichever iDevice you like from there.
- And if all else fails, you can listen to the show directly via the player below 🙂