Ah November. You’ve been a bit … crap y’know? Yes, I finished the first draft of Practical Perfection and that was pretty awesome – but gee there have been shenanigans galore otherwise.
Building a house variety shenanigans.
Sick child for five days when you work full-time shenanigans.
Other stuff not worth going into shenanigans.
In other words – many an epically crap day.
And I have used every zen trick available to me to conquer these crap days … but in the end, zen deserted me. Which is why a Facebook post from Annette Hill at I Give You the Verbs just made me simultaneously laugh and applaud – because it was exactly what I needed at the time. So here for you I republish, with Annette’s permission, the most excellent list ever for:
How to feel better after an epically, epically shit day
- Take time out to decompress. Cancel plans if you need to. It’s okay to do that.
- Don’t worry about having strong feelings, they’ll pass. They’re just feelings, having feelings isn’t bad, just uncomfortable sometimes.
- Chocolate. Hello.
- Vent. To a friend, to your FB peeps, just get some of the GRRRRRR out. SWEAR if you’re so inclined. Works for me.
- Hydrate – with water not wine. (ie Don’t drink yourself into a worse headspace.)
- Sleep. It may not go well, but give it a crack.
- CREATE. This is a massive one for me. Draw, paint, write, sing, just EXPRESS yourself.
- Accept all the kindness people offer. Social media can be awesome for this. (THANK YOU.)
- Have a big ol’ cry. Have a few good cries. Better out than in.
- Sit quietly in the sunshine for 15 minutes.
- BONUS TIP: Order dinner. I’m thinking, pizza.
What’s your best tip for dealing with epically crap days?
Annette is a blogger and a dedicated creative explorer. She is passionate about the power of words, encouraging people, and seeing beauty in everyday things. She blogs about these things and more at I Give You The Verbs. Go say hi to her! Go now!