Now, this is an interesting episode. Again, inspired by a question from one of the Let It Be members in our Facebook group, this week we look at the topic of control. Specifically, when is a desire for control helpful and when does it become a burden?
Brooke and I come at the control issue from very different places. I freely admit I’m a card-carrying control freak who feels more at ease and more productive when I’m in control of my physical surroundings. Brooke, on the other hand, used to cling to the idea of control as a way of dealing with her anxiety and depression, but over the past couple of years has really learnt to let go and find freedom in not being in control at all.
It’s fascinating to hear the different directions from which we approach this topic and its impact. The one thing we agree on, however, is that there’s a big difference between controlling our environment and controlling Life (and people) and that this is often where the tension of control lies.
Want to chat more about this episode (or other Let It Be episodes)? We’ve created a Facebook group to make that easy. Come join in!
Not sure how to listen in to these podcasts?
- If you have an iPhone – the easiest thing to do is open up the Podcasts app (which is on all iPhones) and search for ‘Let it Be’. When it comes up, simply subscribe. Once you’re subscribed, all our episodes will automatically download on to your phone (and we will love you to the moon and back).
- If you’re on your computer, the direct link to our show in iTunes is here. Once you’ve subscribed in iTunes, it will download our episodes into your iTunes and you can then add them to whichever iDevice you like from there.
- If you’re on an Android phone, you will need to first install a podcast app (Podcast Addict is one that’s been recommended – there is a free version) and then search via that app for ‘Let It Be’.
- For a more detailed breakdown of the above, check out Nicole Avery’s post here.
- And if all else fails, you can listen to the show directly via the player below – or download the mp3 to transfer to your audio listening device of choice 🙂