If Carly and I are going to jump on board a bandwagon or fangirl a movement or person, we have strict criteria.
We need them to be inclusive, realistic, responsible and non-dogmatic. By which we mean:
The average person can do it. i.e. There are no significant barriers to entry (which rules of most of the stuff Gwyneth Paltrow recommends on Goop).
The advice has been tested and researched and while it might not necessarily work for everyone, it definitely does no harm if you try it.
There’s an understanding that there are many ways to come at any given problem (i.e. We don’t like movements where those who spruik it like to think it’s the only thing and everything else sucks.)
With that in mind, we whizz through more than 20 (yes, 20!) things and people we’re totally on board with. I’ve done my best to link them all up below:
- Deborah Frances-White and The Guilty Feminist podcast
- My Favourite Murder podcast
- The Curly Girl method (for people with curly hair)
- Sam Bain – the British writer responsible for Peepshow, Fresh Meat and Ill Behaviour
- Giving blood and getting yourself on the organ donation register
- Michael Mosley
- Louis Theroux
- Reese Witherspoon’s Book Club
- The Next Big Idea Book Club
- Style and Shenanigans Book Club
- Celeste Barber on Instagram
- Gemma Correll on Instagram
- Style and Shenanigans (the dress queen) on Instagram
- The Darryl Braithwaite dress
- Heart Rate Training
- 15 minutes of intense exercise a day
- Food movements where the core is ‘eating heaps of veggies and food close to the source’: Whole 30 | Paleo | I Quit Sugar
- Real Energy Food + 23andme DNA testing
- Minimalism and Slow Living via Brooke and Ben at Slow Your Home
- Low Tox Living via Alexx Stuart
- Parenting in the digital age via Martine Oglethorpe
- Ira Glass (is a God) – this is the link to the journalism/storytelling workshop he did
Want to come talk about it? Join our Straight and Curly group on Facebook? It’s free so what are you waiting for?! And don’t forget – we wrote a book! Buying it is a great way to support the show and there are some low-cost options available. You can also support the show via Patreon
Not sure how to listen in to these podcasts?
- If you have an iPhone – the easiest thing to do is open up the Podcasts app (which is on all iPhones) and search for ‘Straight and Curly’. When it comes up, simply subscribe. Once you’re subscribed, all our episodes will automatically download to your phone (and we will love you to the moon and back).
- On any device, you can also now listen to the show via Spotify! Just go to podcasts in Spotify and search for Straight and Curly.
- You can also listen to the show directly via the player below 🙂